The Aleppo Codex
The Aleppo Codex remained practically inaccessible to scholars for many centuries. It was guarded as a sacred treasure of the Aleppo Jewish community in Syria. This Hebrew manuscript, dated approximately A.D. 930, is regarded to be the work of Aaron ben Asher, the “master of the masora, the particular markings and notations of the Hebrew Masoretic Bible text. It was the Aleppo Codex that Maimonides regarded as the authoritative standard for the notational markings in subsequent copies of all legitimate Hebrew scrolls. Much of the Pentateuch of the Aleppo Codex was regrettably destroyed in the riots against the Jews of Aleppo in 1948. This facsimile of the major portion of the Aleppo Codex was printed by the Magnes Press of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem in 1976.